Monday 27 August 2012

Dye Plants in Pots

Enys ( who for those new to the blog does all the hard work of growing plants) and I are frequently asked if you can grow dye plants in pots.

Here are two which are in fact self planted . They both just appeared. in pots - always a good sign that they have found a place where they are happy.  One is Purple Loostrife, Lythrum salicaria and the other  is Dyers Chamomile Anthemis tinctoria . Purple loostrife is a source of  tannin which you can use as a mordant for both cotton and wools.  However purple loostrife does like to be damp so it might be doing so well because we have had such a very wet summer.  In another part of the garden  I have cut Purple loostrife down to dye with and it is rapidly growing back in bush like shape so you might very well get two cuts from it.  The Dyers Chamomile  has been  picked  twice already and is as you can see flourishing . Dyers chamomile gives a golden yellow and if you add iron either as ferrous sulphate or as rusty iron , a lovely soft green

6 comments:

  1. Hi Helen, I have only pots in my garden and the Purple Loostrife and Dyers Camomile are indeed thriving! I haven't cut any for use yet - thought I'd wait a year to let them settle and get a good hold on their new home. Thanks for posting this to encourage us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie that's interesting what other ones have you had success with? I have got African maigolds (predictable:)) but also self sown yarrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and a huge pot of madder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my dyer's chamomile didn't do well last year, so I had to sow a new batch, which has to make more growth before I can pick. but right now I see dark blue violas popping out all over the place, esp. nice because I thought I might have weeded them out, when I started (too) early! they are small and it takes a long time to pick enough, but I freeze them in between, so I am happy about every volunteer:) btw - I saw goldenrod in one of the pix of the post before - which variety do you have? the s. virgaurea only grows very sparingly here in the wild and I'd like to get one of the stronger growing comm. ones... invasive species are very welcome in my dyer's garden:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helen I have madder, woad and Persicaria in pots - I want to get a Genista Tinctoria next! I'm keeping them in pots so that if necessary I can take them all to a friend to look after when we're away - although this year I've just about managed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ma impressed you are keeping woad in pots as it's long root makes it difficult.
    Enys has been selling Genista tinctoria this last year and I know she has some coming on for next year so she should have them at Wonderwool.

    ReplyDelete